Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Verdicts - Made and Remade

Whenever
you enter
a room,
your
whole life
enters
with you.

***

Once I wandered
into the labyrinth
of madness.
I spent some quality time there.
I don't know that all of me returned.

***

We were as gods then, he said, but the clocks came and rendered our lives into pieces.

***

People misunderstand me;
I only mean what I am.

***

On good mornings
I wake up
and sincerely vow
to change my life
for the better
which never
seems to happen.
On bad mornings
I realize that
I am what I am
and even
in America,
land of
mindless optimism,
endless second chances,
tsunamis of self-help books,
and an infinity
of religions,
that is all
I'll ever be.

***

If something
we value
means nothing,
then more
of something
becomes
an excess
of nothing.

***

Life without
a woman
to temper
my stupidities
is difficult
indeed.

***

It is easy
in stray moments
to forgive
yourself.

***

You are but a
passel of atoms
coalescing at birth,
dissolving at death,
no different
than a supernova
or a seagull:
everything is engendered
for a short while
before returning
to nature's reality.
Live while you are alive;
nothing waits beyond.
What an exquisite freedom
accompanies that knowledge.

***


Don't be afraid of the world;
it isn't afraid of you.

***

Love rarely suffices;
friendship often does.

***

You are
the only sunlight
on my skin;
when you go,
I slip
into darkness.

***

The small hurts
and inconsequential
indignities
finally comprise
your whole life.

***

Increase pleasure;
decrease pain:
that's the only
meaning of life.

***

The future
is a dog
always beside us
waiting
to be noticed.

***

No comments: